Let me start off this post by saying that my love of phoenix buns was born from my love of hot pot. The hot pot restaurant I go to around here, and back home is Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot in Mountain View. REAL TALK: I really like the hot pot but I LOVE THE PHOENIX BUNS!
Whenever Matt and I go out to eat, trust me when I say that we DEVOUR those delectable little spheres full of golden, gooey sweetness. GULP
This past winter break, we decided to challenge ourselves and make our own! Insert gasps here! While this recipe is far from perfect, we are SO FREAKING PROUD OF OURSELVES! Of course, we would love you feedback and suggestions, especially for the filling!
CHECK OUT THAT GOOEY YUMMINESS!
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 3/4 cup wheat starch
- 2 tbsp rice flour, or cake flour (OR 1 1/2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 large egg & 1 yolk, beaten
Bun Wrapper (Outside):
- 2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp instant yeast (1 packet)
For Custard Filling:
- In a small pot, over low heat,combine the custard powder, wheat starch, sugar and milk. Stir until well mixed.
- Slowly stir in the beaten egg, and keep stirring. Stir in butter. Mix well.
- Remove from heat.
- Place in freezer for at least one hour.
For Bun Dough:
- Add sugar and yeast to warm. Stir well. Wait approximately 5 minutes until the yeast is activated.
- Add the milk. Stir well.
- Add the flour and salt.
- Mix and knead until the dough is smooth.
- In a large bowl, spray some non-stick oil. Transfer bowl of dough. Cover with a wet cloth. Wait for 3 hours for the dough to rise.
- Knead the dough forcefully. Roll into a log, and cut into 12 equal portions.
- For each portion roll into a sphere. Then roll out the dough with the edges thinner than the center. Form into little bowl-like shapes.
- Fill each dough bowl with a tablespoon of filling.
- Close the sides of the dough and seal as best as you can. Repeat with other buns.
- Set up steamer, per the instructions.
- Steam on HIGH HEAT for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and wait for 5 minutes before uncovering and enjoying!