This is my last weekend before I go back to classes and adulting. I wanted to make this last weekend memorable, so I did it in the best way I know how – BAKING!
I have made these cinnamon rolls a few times before, and they are always a HIT! From friends to my partner’s family, these rolls entice them all with their fluffy, decadent folds and sweet, cinnamon insides.
Because they are an overnight recipe, it makes it all the easier the next morning when you just have to crawl out of bed, let them rise a bit, pop them in the oven, and enjoy!
For Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 1 cup of warm milk (MAKE SURE IT IS NOT HOT)
- 1/2 tsbp (~1 packet) active dry yeast
- 4 tbsp cane sugar
- 3 cups + 2~5 tbsp unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg @ room temperature
- 1 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
For Cinnamon Roll Filling
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
For Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
For Cinnamon Roll Dough Prep:
- In an electric stand mixer bowl, or a whisk in your hand, add the cup of warm milk and the yeast. Make sure that the milk is NOT HOT – it will kill the yeast … and no fluffy cinnamon rolls! Stir it up and allow the yeast to be activated for 7 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of flour, 2 tbsp sugar. Whisk until blended. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 45 minutes. It will look puffy – kind of like a soufflé.
- Whisk in 1 egg, 2 tbsp of sugar, the melted butter and the salt.
- Attach the dough hook to the stand mixer (or you can mix by hand), add 2 1/2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Make sure that the dough is blended before more flour is mixed in. If necessary, add 1 tbsp at a time until the dough does not stick to your fingertips or to the walls of the mixing bowl.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise at room temperature for 1 ~ 1 1/2 hours. The dough should be double in size.
For Cinnamon Roll Dough Prep:
- Gently dust a work surface. Place your dough on the surface. Lightly sprinkle your dough with flour. Roll your dough into an approximate 10″ x 17″ rectangle.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon on top of the butter as well. Spread the softened butter on top of the dough. Sprinkle the sugar evenly on top of the butter. Make sure to get to the edges!
- Starting at one of the long sides, roll up the dough TIGHTLY. When it’s all rolled up, gently push in the ends to make them a bit more uniform. Cut into 12 equal cinnamon rolls!
- Spray non-stick spray on the sides and bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. Evenly space the rolls in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. (up to 20 hours).
The Next Morning:
- ONE HOUR before you want to consume, take the rolls out of the fridge and let them rise at room temperature. Keep them covered. They will be puffy!
- For the Cream Cheese Icing:
- Use an electric mixer, or by hand (but electric is more convenient), cream the softened 4 oz. butter and 4 oz. cream cheese until creamy and smooth. Beat in 1 tbsp vanilla and then slowly add in brown sugar and confectioner’s sugar. It may take about 3 minutes for it to become fluffy!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 22~25 minutes. Let cool on pan for 15 minutes then frost with your cream cheese frosting.
- ENJOY! (and maybe share!)
- Serve with some extra frosting on the side.