When I was an undergraduate freshman in the dorms, I had A LOT of Campbell’s soup, especially the ones that had the letters in it. Do you all know what I am talking about? The ones with the soggy ABCS? I know that I could have bought the ones that didn’t have the mushy letters in them, but the sad letters floating in the red soup appealed to me for some reason – I was destined to be a teacher all along!
Last week, as the weather turned colder and the wind began to have a crisper bite, I found myself craving that tomato soup with the soggy letters again. Then, I caught myself – I could do better than Campbell’s! AND I COULD!! With just 5 ingredients and WAY less preservatives!
- 1 can of whole tomatoes (San Marzano recommended)
- 1 cup of stock (I used chicken)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 6 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- Heat the butter over medium high heat in large pot. Place the diced onion. Cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic in pot, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the San Marzano tomatoes, and stock. Turn heat up to high and boil for 1 minute. Turn heat to low.
- If you are fortunate enough to own an immersion blender, you can blend the tomatoes into a smooth soup. If not, you can use a regular blender like me 🙂 You may need to divide the tomato/stock mixture into 2+ batches.
- Simmer on low for 5 minutes. Serve!
I recommend you serve this with a YUMMY GRILLED CHEESE!