When I was little, one of my favorite family outings was to go to Legoland. It wasn’t quite on the same level as Disneyland for me, but it was pretty close.
As many of y’all know, Legos have always had (and still have) a special place in my heart. Therefore, it may surprise you all to know that my favorite activity at Legoland did not involve building Legos or going on the rides; rather, it was… the APPLE FRIES!
I have never encountered apple fries before my first trip to Disneyland. As my brother and I were playing in the water area, which was pirate themed, my parents wandered over to the apple fry cart and bought two orders of apple fries, with special vanilla whipped cream. My first bite was HEAVENLY! Every visit to Legoland, I would ask for the apple fries!
I have not been back to Legoland since I was 13 (and my brother was 9), because it really is not a place for adults without children … but I still crave these apple fries!
I woke up this morning and I JUST HAD TO MAKE THEM! Here is my attempt! IT WAS SO EASY AND .. WAYYYYY HEALTHIER than the ones at Legoland! You may ask, “Is it just as tasty?” …. I THINK SO! But, you will have to try for yourself and let me know.
To Make Homemade Whipped Cream:
Place 1/2 of a cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp of powdered confectioner’s sugar, and 1/2 tbsp of vanilla extract in a mason jar. Shake vigorously for approximately 7 minutes. The mixture will form bubbles at first, and then you will feel it start to get thicker and thicker as you shake it. Once you have it at the desired thickness, place in the fridge until your apple fries are ready!
Ingredients for Apple Fries
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp oil (vegetable, olive, coconut)
- 1/2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 Ziploc baggie
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Instructions for Apple Fries:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick spray.
- Cut the Granny Smith apple into fry shapes, about 1/2 inch in width and length.
- In the Ziploc bag, mix the honey, cornstarch, oil, cane sugar, and cinnamon. Place apples in the Ziploc bag, close the bag, and massage until the apple fries are all coated.
- Place on baking sheet. Place in oven for 5 minutes.
- Flip. Place back in oven for a further 4 minutes.
- Serve IMMEDIATELY with whipped cream and forks!