You know those desserts that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside??!??! Those are the best kinds of desserts. My favorite, fuzzy-feeling dessert are these chocolate molten heart mini cakes!
These are so versatile! I have made them when I want to say THANK YOU to Matty for being such a great partner (it’s his favorite dessert). I have made them when I want to finish off a nice, romantic dinner! You can even make them for a dinner party! They are sure to impress!
Here are the ingredients for 1, 2, or 4 people! You will need cocottes or ramekins.
|For 1 Person||For 2 People||For 4 People|
¼ cup bittersweet dark chocolate
3/8 stick of butter
1/8 cup sugar
¼ cup flour
½ tbsp lemon zest
½ cup bittersweet dark chocolate
¾ stick of butter
¼ cup sugar
½ cup flour
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 cup bittersweet dark chocolate
1 ½ sticks of butter
½ cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter and flour cocotte/ramekin. Tap out the extra flour.
- Place a bowl over a saucepan of boiled water and melt the chocolate and butter together. Stir until well blended, then let cool to room temperature (or…stick it in the freezer for about 8 minutes).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together. Then, beat in the sugar a tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until the eggs have tripled in volume, and are a light yellow. This will take about 8 minutes.
- Fold the beaten eggs into the chocolate and gently blend the two. Sprinkle the flour into the cooled chocolate mixture, little by little. Mix until well blended. The batter will become thick and luscious.
- Add the lemon zest. Save a few strands for decoration.
- Divide batter into prepared cocottes (ramekins) and place, uncovered, in the oven on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. When you move the baking sheet slightly, there will be no movement in the center.
Dust the tops with powdered cocoa or sugar and garnish with zest!
NOTE: Best served immediately with a cold glass of milk (or dairy alternative!)